Posted by Steve Sides
Posted on 1/6/2016
Hope everyone had a great holiday season ! Here we are just barely into 2016 and it’s time to start thinking about the new season, working the kinks out of our sequences and getting ready to compete. For some of us we’ll have to pick and choose our days when we can get out and fly. Others are wearing shorts – I’m really jealous !
A couple things about scoring
- The new version (v4.13) of the Score! program is available for download. Please make sure that you download and use that version as it has the 2016 known sequences included.
- Some folks have experienced difficulties using the software in the past and I’d like to offer some suggestions that may make contest life easier.
- Please make sure that you have decompressed the Score file that you downloaded BEFORE use. By just clicking on the compressed file it appears that the program has started and all is well. NOT THE CASE ! You MUST decompress the file first and then click on the Score executable. If you have any questions about how to do this please let me know.
- Some have reported losing data in the midst of their contest and having to reload the data. Of the instances that I’m aware no definitive cause has been found. Suggestion. After the scores are entered for each round, go to the data directory and copy the data files there (4 of them) to another place on your computer, thumb drive, whatever. The point here is that if you experience a data loss, you can restore the data files if needed and lose minimal data. Also might be a good idea to do so after entering the Unknown sequences as well. Again if you need help don’t hesitate to contact me.
- When you’re finished with your contest, please send me the data files for the contest just as you have done throughout the 2015 season. I will do a last check on the data before we upload to the website to be sure that everyone gets credited appropriately for their contest performance.
Some changes from the BOD
The Board of Directors has been busy over the holidays. Here are some highlights for the upcoming season.
Contest Standards for 2016. Some of the changes include:
- Basic class unknown scoring. The Basic class will fly their known sequence during the unknown round but it will be scored as an Unknown and is not subject to the known drop sequence.
- Details on how to register your contest.
- Basic pilots can be chosen by the CD as the unknown manager if so desired.
- Please see the updated document for all the details.
Regional Points Series.
Intermediate Alternate sequence
For those fields with tight overflight restrictions, the BOD asked the sequence committee to produce an alternate sequence for the Intermediate class (both Known and Unknown) as has been the case for the Alternate and Unlimited classes. The Intermediate Alternate sequence will eliminate the roller and tighten the footprint. If you need alternate sequences please be sure that you ask for them when you register your contest so the librarian can send the correct unknowns.