Saturday, October 25, 2014
IMAC PM System
You must be logged in to use this module.
App graphics and other technical info
Last Post 08 Feb 2011 8:45 by . 26 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
MVP
MVP
IMAC #: 4230
IMAC Region: NE

--
14 Jan 2011 22:41  
Just starting a new thread for technical items and graphics idea's related to the IMAC Lite apps

-Bill James

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.
Pro
Pro
IMAC #: 6409
IMAC Region: NC

--
16 Jan 2011 17:58  
Couple of quick questions.

1. What size/aspect ratio should I use for a background template?
2. What format do you want the files in?
3. Do you want one overall layout or each item in its own file?
4. What do you think of tabs? Using them to navigate between the sections (like this website) instead of a main button page.

I was also thinking a contest section (maps,dates,ect.) might be nice, or maybe I'm adding to much stuff? It is IMAC Lite!

Here are some icons and re-sized buttons. Again give me some direction, stick with this style or no?

MVP
MVP

--
16 Jan 2011 18:28  
Hi Nick

Please, stay with the square design (top ones) and not the rectangular ones, I really do like them. Everything must be a separate file, the buttons, backgrounds, icons, etc. All files need to be PNG. I will be eventually moving all apps to a tab setup so the square ones work perfectly. See below for the sizes needed for the tab navigation once I get to that but for the time being, the size above looks pretty good. If you send them to me, I'll put them into the apps and do a screen shot so you can see how they fit

The background for the iPhone should be 320 wide by 480 high (Portrait) The iPad should be 768 wide by 1024 high (Portrait) I'm guess the Android sizes would be the same as the iPhone sizes. I have locked the home screen on all devices to Portrait but once a user is off the home screen the they are not locked into any specific orientation but all products do very well self adjusting the orientation

All backgrounds should include the IMAC logo like you are showing on your second example in the post above with the rectangular buttons

Button size is dependent on the button itself but must be at least 44 pixels high or Apple will reject the App. Android does not really care as then can be set to auto-size depending on orientation.

Once I convert the app to Tab Navigation, the icon will need to be 30x30 pixels for all devices with the Apple ones being transparent

All items need to be their own file to handle when the user changes the orientation of the device

As far as the Contest section, that is in the works. I have a tab navigation designed for the Apple devices already, I also created settings preferences for all devices last night that allows the users to set their home regions, the IMAC website login and their IMAC number. Those items will then allow me to work with the IMAC website to pull each persons information based on their settings preferences.

No matter what we/I do, the name will remain the same. I was going to just create a new app with much more functionality in it and charge around 99 cents as well as change the name, but to tell you the truth this one has done better than I expected (404 Apple downloads, around 100 for the Android beta) and to up and charge for it now would not be smart, but I did tell everyone that I will eventually add recording and voice control and if Apple or Android does not create the functionality in the API's then I have to purchase software and I will the have to charge for that version

If you need more info. let me know. I'm not very smart when it comes to graphics so I really do not know what information you really need. I cannot give you a link to the correct information as both Apple and Android require Developer access (the paid version) to get to that information. The information out in the pubic (Internet) is a bit outdated

I am ready any time you are. I have a new release almost ready that includes 4 different checks to make sure the software has not been pirated, additions of the helpful hints and tips section, additions to the Map, copyright permissions have also been added to the info button

-Bill James

MVP
MVP

--
16 Jan 2011 18:51  
I just remembered,

I'll need new icons to go with the new graphics for both the App store and the Android Market as well as the icons that show up in the list of apps on all devices so here are the sizes

The name must remain as IMAC Lite

The following sizes are Apple based unless otherwise noted and all files for both Apple and Android MUST be png

Application icon (required)

57 x 57
114 x 114 (high resolution)
72 x 72

App Store and Android Marketplace icon
512 x 512

Spotlight search result icons

29 x 29
58 x 58 (high resolution)
50 x 50

For the Android phones I need the following sizes

48x48
64x64

Please, feel free to make the loading screens all match, and feel free to add your copyright to it just like you see mine on the iPad loading screen. You can model the 512x512 version off the icons for the ipad/iphone/android ones. I'll do the screenshots I need for the App store and Marketplace

iPad loading screen

iPad icon

iPhone/iPod/Android icon

iPhone/iPod/Android loading screen

Let me know if you need more

-Bill James

Pro
Pro

--
17 Jan 2011 11:36  
Just a quick mock-up of a home screen and a loading page.
I'll try and get you the separated files tonight. An "app map" or a list of each needed button/page would be helpful.

MVP
MVP
IMAC #: 4686
IMAC Region: SE

--
17 Jan 2011 13:29  
Me Likie!

2013/2014 IMAC VP/Judging Instructor/IMAC Sequence committee/2014 IMAC World Championship CD/Team Futaba/Extreme Flight R/C
MVP
MVP

--
17 Jan 2011 17:33  
Nick.

taking into account the ones you have already shown me which I can use those as well,

I need ones for each sequence

Basic
Sportsman
Intermediate
Advanced
Unlimited
Alt Unlimited
Alt Advanced

Then I need buttons for

IMAC Contest Guidelines
AMA Rules
IRPS Guidelines
Tips and Tricks
Trimming by Peter Goldsmith
Balancing GS Planes
Contest Checklist
IMAC Website

That's about all for now. Not all will be used right away like the links one and maybe the contest one but they will be used in the very future

The sample loading screen looks good.

-Bill James

Pro
Pro

--
17 Jan 2011 18:04  
My original idea was to use the "square" icons as the main categories buttons (home page) that linked to their appropriate page, then have the other "rectangle" buttons for selections in that category. Giving it some visual structure.

I can make the rectangle buttons look more like the square buttons in color if you want. I don't think squares will work well for a large list of selections like the full list of sequences.

Let me make up a "category" page to show you what I mean. It will have to be later tonight before I can work on it.

I also thought of a feature that I think is a must have. An unknown category. You could have a database of unknowns (like last years contests) then when your at the field practicing you could pull up an unknown (randomly) study it for a few minutes then give it a go. A GREAT practice tool. What do ya think?

MVP
MVP

--
17 Jan 2011 18:23  
Cool idea on the unknowns. Let me look into the feasibility of that though it should not be too much of an issue. Off the top of my head, I can get all the unknowns from DA's website for Tucson to start with. Looks like I'm going to be designing some table views

I see what you are talking about between the homepage and separate category buttons and it sounds great to me

So you main button would then be something like this

Website
Sequences
Tips and Tricks (or just "Tips")
Rules
Maps
Contests
Scores

and more

Then breakdown the individual categories. I already redid the interfaces to handle that for the next release so we are good to go in that respect, and all I'll have to do is just replace the "stock" buttons and such with your designs and I will not even have to redo the links for the buttons and icons

-Bill James

Pro
Pro

--
18 Jan 2011 5:14  
Couple more mock-ups. I think I finally got all the icons done . So I should be able to start chopping them up and start getting you the individual files.

MVP
MVP

--
18 Jan 2011 15:36  
Looking really really good Nick

-Bill James

Pro
Pro

--
21 Jan 2011 2:32  
Here are the final mock-ups for your approval . Make sure everything is how you want it (style and content), and I'll send you the individual files.

Not sure what selections you need in the map and info category? Do you want to type up something for info? Is there anything else we need graphics for?

MVP
MVP

--
21 Jan 2011 19:01  
Everything looks great

-Bill James

Pro
Pro

--
24 Jan 2011 23:48  
Bill,
Not sure what I'm doing wrong but when I reduce the icons down to 30x30 they loose all detail.

Can I send you the larger files? Do you have a way to reduce them or know what I'm doing wrong?

I was also looking and realized that the default Android buttons are almost identical to the ones I made, so I think it would be a waste of time/space to make the buttons images. Not sure on the IPhone though, do you need images of the buttons for it?

The Background file seems to work fine. I attached a copy.

Let me know what you want to do with the icon files and how things are going on your end.

Attachment: Background.png

MVP
MVP

--
25 Jan 2011 6:30  
Hi Nick

At 30x30 you are not going to get a lot of detail so no issues there. Go ahead and send me what you have. I have the next release ready for both Apple and Android and I wanted to include your graphics in this release.

This next release has the TAS unknowns in it, updated map functions (Android version only for the map update) the ability for then user to save certain settings and some security checks plus some minor behind the scenes stuff

The background looks great

-Bill James

MVP
MVP
IMAC #: 3160
IMAC Region: SE

--
25 Jan 2011 6:34  
What about the CCI unknowns?

Sponsored by My WIFE, Thank You!!!! Southeast Regional Director 2013-2014, IMAC Judging Instructor
MVP
MVP

--
25 Jan 2011 7:26  

Posted By Gil R. Major on 25 Jan 2011 6:34
What about the CCI unknowns?

Hi Gil,

Are they somewhere that I can download them and they are not password protected. I had talked to Wayne about getting all the unknowns from last year and the consensus is that the committee does not do things like that however, if the CCI versions are publicly available then I can include them.

This was an idea asked by several people that I include previous unknowns for fun and all that I knew that where available were previous years of TAS and regional unknowns back around 2007

-Bill James

Pro
Pro

--
25 Jan 2011 22:15  
Bill,
I scaled down a mock-up page to 320x480 then measured what size the icons were, they came out 80x74.

Are you using App Inventor for the Android part? I downloaded it and played around with it last night. I have a few questions about it if your using it.

Well here are the icons and a blank background image with the IMAC logo separated out.

Attachment: 001_Background.png
Attachment: IMAC_Logo.png
Attachment: Back_Icon.png
Attachment: Contests_Icon.png
Attachment: Exit_Icon.png
Attachment: Home_Icon.png
Attachment: Info_Icon.png
Attachment: Links_Icon.png
Attachment: Maps_Icon.png
Attachment: Rules_Icon.png
Attachment: Score_Icon.png
Attachment: Sequences_Icon.png

Pro
Pro

--
25 Jan 2011 22:19  
I don't think the images saved right. PM me your email and I'll send you a zip.

MVP
MVP

--
26 Jan 2011 7:35  
HI Nick,

Yes, I am familiar with the AppInventor so I can answer some of your questions. It is limited in what you can do but makes life a lot easier when first learning to develop for the Android systems

My email is

imacapp@comcast.net.

I found a tool that allowed me to convert the App from the Appinventor to Eclispe while properly creating the Java files and XML files required for the Android marketplace.

I just purchased a 7 inch Android tablet and installed the current Android version of my App onto it and it looks just fine. It seems the Android OS does some magic on the background to resize things just right. I've seen my app on the 2.5 inch, 3 inch, 4 inch and now 7 inch screens and in all cases it looked just fine.

The size limitations are for smaller screens and mainly for the Apple version.

I am really looking forward to adding your graphics to these apps, I think it will add the right amount of "punch" I am looking for

-Bill James

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

--
27 Jan 2011 15:19  
Not sure if I'm on the latest version for the Android system or not. I used the address you emailed me
a few weeks back and installed the app again. Do you know when the app will appear in the Android Market?

"Never make a life decision without first building a Foamy" -Hubb©
MVP
MVP

--
27 Jan 2011 16:55  
Hi Brandon, you can tell if you are on the most current if the App gives you message about the Where am I button when you open it

There are issues with the PDF fils and that is what is holding it up. The rest of it is pretty much ready to go minus some minor behind the scenes stuff

-Bill James

--
27 Jan 2011 17:06  
I get that message for the where am I. So I must have the most current version. Thanks

--
27 Jan 2011 17:07  
I'm not sure if it was said in this thread or not, but having the ability to record and then listen to each maneuver would be awesome I think. Especially if no one else is flying that day that knows how to read aresti.

--
27 Jan 2011 17:08  
sorry double post

MVP
MVP

--
07 Feb 2011 22:10  
Hi Brandon,

Looks like I never responded to you. Yes, that is in the plan but do to various issues, mainly Android has not released the correct API the only way I can do it is to purchase a version of another program and if I do that them this app as well as the Apple version will no longer be free.

Please bear with me, it will happen, Google says the API's are coming but are not giving any time frame.

There is a good chance Nick will be publishing his version of the Android app, I really like his way better than mine, you can get a good idea of how it looks from the screen shots above.

I'm hoping that once I get the Caller mode done on the Apple version, Nick will include it in his version

His version actually has a way to have the PDF files local but you have to download them separately and then install a PDF reader, we have found a really good one for free

If he decides to release his, then it will be hosted fro my website and he will provide instructions on exactly how to use it

he's hooked on this development stuff so between him and I, we can crank out some cool stuff for this IMAC stuff.

Oh Yea, one of the main reasons I'm literally begging Nick to do his Android version is I want some extra time to develop software for scoring electronically and really want to have it done and tested by the time the NATS roll around.

-Bill James

--
08 Feb 2011 8:45  
sounds great. thanks for the response.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.1
Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use
Copyright 2014 by IMAC